I realise that it is over 10 days since I put finger to blog – for which I can only blame the last ten days’ worth of entries for this year’s FreeFrom Food Awards. For any potential entrant reading this blog, they close at midnight next Wednesday 12th.
However, it has been well worth it as not only have we had a record number of new entrants (and they are still flooding in) which bodes well for the future of freefrom food – and for those needing or wishing to buy it – but we have had some really exciting new products.
No names, no pack drill, but how about….
• gluten, dairy, egg and nut-free edible ice cream tubs
• pineapple fruit crisps
• nut-free ‘peanut’ butter
• gluten-free breadcrumbs that stick on your chicken without any egg….
• dairy-free fudge
• pasta made from chick peas
• gluten and dairy-free croissants
• gluten-free samosas
• a venison and sloe gin ready meal….
• several new gluten-free beers and two sulphite-free wines
• mulled wine Christmas chocolates
and lots and lots of pizzas – many of which are gluten and dairy free!
I am afraid you will have to wait a while to know which deliciousness-es have won (the presentation, by Antony Worrall Thompson, is not until April 16th) but you will get some handle on the front runners when the shortlist comes out – currently scheduled for Wednesday 20th February. Watch this space…